Introduction to Maternal-Fetal Medicine!
I am especially interested in this upcoming rotation after attending the past couple of case sharing presentations by the MFM team. They seem to have a really interesting practice interacting with a very unique population group.
My personal objectives are:
- To select appropriate drug therapy for women who are pregnant or lactating through applying the knowledge of factors affecting the passage of medications through the placenta or into breast milk utilizing various resources.
- To reflect the constantly changing patient in my monitoring parameter (e.g. how does their PK/PD change along their pregnancy and peri-natally –> will this affect any of my monitoring parameters?)
- Successfully lead my first resident discussion
- I will do this by ensuring I do ample research on my topic (N/V in preg/Hyperemesis Gravidarum), creating handouts if appropriate, and practicing my presentation at home to ensure that my pace and presentation style is appropriate.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate and apply knowledge regarding pathophysiology, clinical presentation, therapeutics and associated pharmacotherapy, for the following disease states in the pregnant/postpartum patient through patient care work-ups and activities, therapeutic discussions and literature review:
- Nausea & Vomiting in Pregnancy/ Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Preterm labour/ Preterm Premature rupture of membranes
- Infectious Disease in Pregnancy: GBS prophylaxis, UTI, Chorioamnionitis, Endometritis
- Hypertension in Pregnancy and Pre-eclampsia
I am excited to practice the skills I have acquired in the clinical orientation week and ensure that I continue to build on my thought process!